Sunday, January 30, 2011

Progress

This post is going to seem like it’s in the wrong place after what Dov just posted (thanks, Dov) but rest assured, progress is being made (finally…)

I spent most of last week contemplating and researching (and over-thinking) for new design ideas, only to return to my initial concept of a deployable structure (serving primarily as rain protection.)

Sea anemones continue to be a source of 'inspiration', though I've been exploring species beyond worms – ‘Cinnamon’ the Coco Worm was limiting my design rather than inspiring it. Some stunning images that I couldn't help but share:

Strawberry Anemone

Zebra Anemone

This one doesn't have a cool name.. Aggregating Anemone

My initial proposal aimed at designing a structure over the Molson Amphitheater to serve as rain protection for outdoor concerts and events – it made sense to have for the design to be deployable as the a permanent structure would have completely changed the dynamic of the space. Each version of the design became more complex than the last until eventually I had a completely overwhelming and unnecessary structure over the space. I was unhappy with what I envisioned the end product as being and decided to continue to pursue a similar design but at a smaller scale. In reconsidering the design, the criteria for the final product are the following: practical, easily expandable/retractable (using a passive system), versatile (can be used in various locations), durable – and most notably, it is important that the final product add value to the space without completely taking over it.

The final product will require a few more revisions, but I am confident in the direction it’s headed.

These sketches are somewhat inaccurate after a late-night 'eureka' moment...I will post again in the next couple of days to give you a better sense of where I'm at.



1 comment:

  1. Deployment as a passive system will have to be elaborated upon.

    ReplyDelete